Lonnie and Sue - Traveling North America

2007 - July 12 to July 22 Travels in Newfoundland


 My campground rating system is on a scale of 5/5 with the first number being the levelness of the site and the second being the appearance.  A 3/3 would be an average site.


 I have left the prices in for comparison and to give a general idea of what to expect.  Depending on when you read this, factor in inflation.



You can read it through or select specific locations below.

Travel Log - July 12 to July 22, 2007     
[Tab 2007 Newfound'd 2]


07-12-2007      Thur     Day 102          Trip Meter:  171.5 

Fuel:   The coach in Gander, NL at Irving’s.  $1.148 = $4.095 

Driving Directions:   Got back on TC 1 east.  At jct of 233 took it.  At jct of 234 (aka Lethbridge Rd) took it.  At 230 took it east.  At jct 236 took it north to the campground.  

Days Activities:   Departed campground at 9:25 AM.  The weather is beautiful today.  At little windy but in the high 60’s as we left the campground.  We stopped at a strawberry stand on 234 and purchased 2 quarts of fresh strawberries for $4.00 per quart.  They were small and very good. 

  • Campsite:   Lockston Path Provincial Park, Port Rexton, NL
  • Wanted 7 nights but was only able to get one night.  Was informed all of the sites were reserved for the weekend.  The site they let us have is not reserved for tonight and tomorrow night, but it can only be reserved by calling the reservation office.  Sites cannot be reserved in the current day so we were able to get a site for one night.  If no one reserves it today for tomorrow then we can get it for another night tomorrow morning. 
  • 07/12 - site # 44 - gravel pad - back in - 30 amp, water.  Cost $20.00 per night.  Rating 3/4.  Got setup at 2:00 PM. 
    • Additional info:  Site has a table and grill on a post.  Elevated gravel pad with small trees on each side.  The sites in this campground are spaced far apart.  In most instances the adjacent site is separated by trees so there is a lot of privacy.  There is a playground and a freshwater lake with boating and swimming.  
  • 07-13 – same site 
  • 07-14 – Had to move to site #27.  Water but no electric.  $13.00 a night.  Rating 1/5. 
  • 07-15 – Got serviced site #48 – 4 nights at $20.00 per night.  Have 50 amp.  Rating 1/5. 
  • Note - got our 7 nights. 
Our first campsite at Lockston Path Provincial Park, Port Rexton, NL.  The other 2 looked pretty much the same. 
We drove into Trinity and looked at another campground.  It is really small.  In fact, when I called for a reservation several days ago they refused to make one for anything over 29 feet.  We did find one site in the campground that we could get the coach in but the campground is really ugly and only has 15-amp service.   

Called the Provincial Park reservation service but they said every reserve able site in the park was already reserved.  However, each park can only reserve up to 80% of total sites.  We returned to the campground office and determined there are 3 electric sites that are not reserve able.  Two of them are paid up through Monday night but the third is only paid through Sunday night.  Our plan is to keep site 44 for Friday night, if no one has reserved it by tomorrow morning, then move to a non-electric site for Saturday and Sunday.  There are currently quite a few non-reserve able non-electric sites still available.  Then we will hope the electric site becomes available Monday morning.  Will just have to wait and see but this has really screwed up our plans for this area.

07-13-2007      Fri     Day 103 

Days Activities:   Departed home at 12:50 PM.  Drove out 239 to New Bonaventure.  Just before we got there we saw fishing boats in a small cove with nets out.  The road overlooks the Atlantic Ocean.   

There is a movie set just outside of town that was built for a 2000 mini series filmed for CBC called “Random Passage”.  It cost $6.00 each to tour the set, which is a reconstructed 1800’s fishing village, but we didn’t go.  It was cold and the real foggy.  We found out later that the best way to see the set is in the fog.  It is suppose to give it a more realistic view.   

In town I took some pictures of fishing stages at and around the wharf.   

A note about fishing stages.  All of the pictures with old building on and around the docks I have called “fishing stages” but that is not altogether correct.  Got a better understanding of the actual structures later in our travels so will clarify here.  The original fishing stages were the buildings on the very end of the dock.  That is where the fish were unloaded and cleaned.  The other buildings, those build further back on the docks and on the shore, are secondary buildings.  Those are the net buildings, storage buildings, and fish storage buildings.   

On the way out took a side road, 239-15, to Old Bonaventure.  We stopped and I took some pictures of a really crappy looking lot with some old houses and junk cars.  This is the first area we have seen like this in our Newfoundland travels so far.  Reminded us of Arkansas.   

Took some pictures of a large dock there.  Several fishing boats were unloading fish and the fish were being put into large plastic containers.  A forklift was being used to stack the containers on the dock.  Another forklift was being used to take containers up a hill and load them on a 40’ trailer.  The last two containers were loaded while we were there.  I stopped and asked the driver what they were and was informed they were caplin.  I asked if that was what the fishing boats we had seen were catching and he said yes.  

Caplin is a small fish that are much sought after by the Chinese and Japanese.  This is the fish the lady at Leading Tickles told us about.   

We drove through Dunfield and at the end of the pavement the road turned into a wide gravel road.  There were no signs but we took it anyway.  It is out one of the many peninsulas in the area.  About a mile out we had a fantastic view of Trinity.  Continued on to the end and arrived at a lighthouse we had seen from the road but is not listed on the map or in any reading material we have secured.   

At the end of the road was a fenced area with an entrance gate.  At the gate was an information board that identifies this as Admiral’s Point Historical Trail. The only information on the board was the name, a map of the point, and a numbered listing of points of interest – however, the numbers were not indicated on the map.  The map seemed to indicate the point had once been some type of military installation.  There were 3 buildings and a large outdoor stage at the entrance. 

A trail led around the point and one led to stairs up to a viewing platform just below the lighthouse.  We climbed up to the viewing platform and walked the trails.  There were 4 old cannon just lying on the ground.   

This peninsula sticks out into the Atlantic Ocean.  The rocky coastline is simply magnificent.  There were beautiful blue wild iris’s scattered all around the point.  

There are 4” by 4” frames located along the point trail where information plaques should be.  There are none and it does not appear any have ever been mounted.  These should correspond to the listing on the information board at the entrance.  The only thing that provided information were two 4” by 4” post with the following posted on them – “1745 to 1762 Parapet Wall” and “1745 to 1762 Lower Parapet Wall”.    

As we left I looked at the information board again.  It listed the following points of interest – Palisade, Upper Battery, Admiral Point Light, Viewing Deck, Main Battery, Lower Battery, Barracks, Magazine/Storehouse, Gunner’s Hut.  With the exception of the lighthouse and viewing deck it is just a guess as to where anything else was located.  We found out later that the post for the plaques have been there for over 13 years and several attempts has been made to get the completed.   

In tours of museums in Trinity we found that the fort had been erected in 1742.  The French captured it in 1762 and was only able to hold it for several months so they destroyed it when they left.  We saw copies of the original plans for the fort.  Got home at 4:15 PM.  Tour today was 50 miles.

Fishing for Caplin outside of New Bonaventure.  Notice the fog.
Unloading Caplin at the dock in Old Bonaventure.  Notice the fog.
A view of Trinity from across the bay on the way to a lighthouse.
The lighthouse in the bay at Trinity on Admirals Point. 

07-14-2007      Sat     Day 104 

Days Activities:   Had to move.  Got site #27, water only.  Got setup at 10:15 AM.  Backed up to a creek but no place to set by the water.  Took 3 boards to bring the rear of the coach up enough to level it.   

Drove into Trinity and bought tickets to 3 shows for today.  The first is for the Pageant at 2 PM, cost $10.50 each.  Regular $13.00 but got a discount because we bought the package.   The second was the dinner theatre at 5:30 PM for $36.00 each.  The third was a theatre presentation at 8:30 PM for $20.00 each. 

Trinity has been designated a historical city.  We walked around town and took some pictures.  Stopped at Vee’s Café, located in the front of a house, and had lunch, soup and sandwich.  Got the soup but never got the sandwich.   We both had ordered the turkey sandwich and from the looks of some that were delivered to other tables it was just bread with a slice of turkey.  Waited 45 minutes after we got the soup, no sandwich, so paid for the soup and left. 

Walked to the blacksmith museum.  Purchased a ticket that was good for six attractions in town.  Cost $7.50 each.  The first one was the Green Family Forge.  The Green family arrived in Trinity in 1750 and established a blacksmith shop.  In 1895 the shop was moved down the hill to its current location.  Six generations ran the shop and the last operator died in 1955.  He only had a daughter, who was also trained as a blacksmith, but she didn’t want to carry on the trade so she closed the building and left it just as it was when her dad died.  In 1990 she donated it to the city Historical Society.  The only thing they had to do to the shop was repairing the chimneys on the two forges and clean rust from the tools.  Old calendars were still tacked to the wall.  One of the forges is still used today to make small craft items for sale.  Great exhibit. 

The pageant was getting ready to start when we left the museum.  It was conducted at 10 different locations around the village and depicted the history of Newfoundland and Trinity from 1497 to current time.  We followed the troupe from stop to stop.  The seventh stop on the pageant was the St Paul Anglican Church.  It was originally built in 1730 but the current church was built in 1892/1894.  This is the third building on the same site and was constructed entirely by labor donated by Trinity residents.  The pageant was presented by the entire troupe of the Rising Tide Theatre.  The pageant started at 2 PM and was over at 4:25 PM.   

After the pageant we went to the Lester-Garland House.  It is by far the largest house in Trinity.  It was built in 1795 and remodeled in 1819.  As originally constructed it was 3 story with an “M” shaped roof.  When it was remodeled the roof design was changed to the long sloping design used in this area and it caused half of the third floor to be removed.   The house was occupied until 1948 then set vacant until 1968.  It started deteriorating as it set vacant so the company that owned it started tearing it down.  Before total destruction was complete the Historical Society got hold of it and are using the 1819 plans to restore it.  The original brick used on the outside walls was yellow but red brick used to reconstruct it gives a contrasting view of the extent of the outside wall destruction.  Lester had a brother that lived in Poole, England, and they were partners in the fishing industry.  In 1796 Lester’s brother builds a home in Poole that looked just like the Lester house except for a slight design change in the roof design.  The house in Poole is currently being used as a B&B.     

Walked to the Ryan building.  It was originally constructed in 1760 and consisted of offices and counting rooms for a fishing merchant.  The first 250 years of the fishing industry in Newfoundland was controlled by the merchants.  They had “counting rooms” that were actually large rooms where supplies were stored and business records were maintained.  The clerk recorded the catch of each fisherman, supplies were issued to the fisherman, and the transactions were posted.  The merchant set the price for the fish and for the merchandise.  Fisherman during those times lived in poverty because of the company store.  In 1802 the size of the building was doubled and the addition was used as a general store.  Now the fishermen and family members could come to the store and draw items in smaller quantities as they were needed.  Prior to this time all supplies were issued in bulk.  The store was closed in 1952 when the firm went bankrupt.  Except for a 6 year period from 1900 to 1906 business was conducted out of this building for nearly 200 years.   

The dinner show started at 5:30 PM.  Since we didn’t buy tickets a day in advance we didn’t get to select from the menu.  Most of the people had a good-looking plate of salmon but we had roast beef.  We just had time to buy drinks before dinner was served.  The show called “Shenanigans” was a combination musical and comedy show.  It started as dinner was being served and ran until 7:25 PM.  Good meal and good entertainment but would have rather had the salmon.   

After the show I walked around Trinity and took pictures of houses and Sue set in the car and read. 

The theatre production “No Man’s Land” started at 8:30 PM and was over at 10:15 PM.  There was no intermission.  The play was about a battle in which over 200 Newfoundland soldiers, members of the Newfoundland Regiment were killed on July 1, 1916.  A total of 801 men left the trenches for the charge.  Only 68 were able to make roll call the next day.  A total of 230 will killed on the battlefield and 503 were injured and unable to make roll call.  We didn’t get a number of the injured that died after the battle.  Got back home at 10:45 PM.

"The Pageant" was conducted at 10 different locations around the village and depicted the history of Newfoundland and Trinity from 1497 to current time.
They really knew how to keep their women in line.
I thought this was just a wonderful view.
Court House, Gaol & General Building.

07-15-2007     Sun     Day 105 

Fuel:   The jeep in Trinity, NL at Western Petroleum.  $1.222 = $4.399 

Days Activities:   Moved to site #48.  Got 50 amp service – 4 days.  We’re set until we leave on Thursday morning.  Got setup at 11:15 am.  Had to use 3 boards to raise the back enough to level. 

Still have 3 museums to see in Trinity so departed home at 12:05 PM.  Our tickets for the museums were good until 2 PM today but when we got to the first one discovered admission to all of them were free today.  Went to the Hiscock house.  Just an old house that has been restored.  Some of the family members still live in Trinity. 

Went to the Trinity Museum.  Just a small 2 story house full of artifacts.  Were told there are over 3,000 of them and that are tightly packed in the small house.  The most interesting thing we saw was an old iron that you put a brick in to keep hot. 

Last stop was the Interpretation Centre.  The most interesting things in the centre were the maps and aerial shots of the Trinity Bight area. 

When we took our trip out 239 the other day we didn’t have time to take a paved road that went south.  It was less than a mile outside of Trinity.  It is not indicated on our map nor is there any identification on the roadway.  It was less that 2 miles long and ended at a small lake and an abandoned amusement park called Trinity Loop.  Setting around the parking area was an old caboose, a real long passenger car, and two boxcars.  Another box car has been positioned for a stage and one side cut out.  Made a really good looking concert stage.  The 4 train cars looked like that might have been used as exhibits for the park.   

There was a large Ferris wheel, a narrow gauge train that ran around the lake, miniature golf, bumper boats, large playground with a huge sand box, a beach on the lake, boat rentals, and other assorted games and rides.  There were people camping on the beach.  The entire area was real trashy looking.  At some point in time a huge fire had been built in the sandbox.  We met two ladies with their children as they were headed to the beach and asked them about the park.  It has been opened in 1986 and closed 2 years ago.  

There were 12 rental cabins overlooking the park that appeared to be a part of the park.  There were several old work cars for the narrow gauge track setting around in really bad condition.  It looked like they just walked off and left it.  There is also a large paintball field and a riding stable adjacent to the park.   

At the end of the pavement a gravel road continued on.  It was narrow and the brush on each side scrapped both sides of the jeep.  We went down it about a mile and then turned around.  It ran along a really nice lake that was at least a half-mile long.  The 2-mile round trip took 20 minutes.  Got back home at 3:45 PM.  A relaxing day - set out and read and napped. 

07-16-2007      Mon     Day 106 

Days Activities:   Departed home at 10:05 AM.  Took 230 towards Bonavista.  Stopped at Melrose and took pictures of an old wharf and some old boats lying around.   

Stopped at Port Union and took a tour of the old factory.  Port Union, Canada’s only union built town.  In 1908 William Coaker formed the Fisherman’s Protective Union (FPU) and broke the 500-year merchant’s trade system hold on the fishing industry.  He purchased a large section of land where Port Union is located and in 1916 started building the factory and town.  He built housing for the factory workers and fisherman to rent at a reasonable price.  The factory was completed in 1918 and had its own electric plant.  He called it Union Electric Light and Power Co and it provided electricity all the way to Bonavista.   

Coaker begin publishing a union newspaper, Fisherman’s Advocate, in 1910.  In 1923 the newspaper was moved from St. John’s to Port Union and continued to be published until 1980.  The printing equipment had been located in another part of the building but had been moved to the first floor for display.  The tour guide demonstrated and explained its use.  Located on the second floor was old woodworking equipment.  It was located on the original floor where it was originally installed but had been moved around after operations were shut down.  It was all belt driven.  The electric motors had been located on the first floor with the belts extending up through the second floor.  None of it was connected but was very interesting.  The entire area around the factory building has been designated a historical district.  Cost $7.00 each. 

Sue got a few pictures but dropped the camera in the printing area and broke it.  No more pictures today. 

The tour guide escorted us to the Holy Martyrs Church and to the William Coaker Memorial.   

Continued on 230 to Catalina.  There was a large wharf with over a dozen large fishing boats in the 40 to 50 foot ranges.   Took 230-26 out to Little Catalina then continued up 230 to 238.  Took 238 to Elliston and looked at the cellars.  The village advertises over 138 cellars.  The cellars were used to store vegetables that were harvested from the gardens.  Stopped at a take out in front of a municipal park, with campground, and ate hamburgers as we looked out over the bay.  It was real windy.  (Went back on 7/17 and took pictures of the cellars) 

In Bonavista drove through Dungeon Provincial Park and stopped at the Dungeon.  It is a huge hole with two natural tunnels out to the ocean.  The hole is about 200 feet in diameter and about 200 feet from the back side of the hole to the cliff.  Drove over cattle guards entering and leaving the park – the first ones we have seen here.  This is a pasture area and we saw horses, cattle, sheep, and thousand of wild blue irises.  (Went back on 7/17 and took pictures) 

Continued on 238 towards the Bonavista Lighthouse.  Just before we got to the lighthouse we came on a restaurant with a sign for free RV parking.  It was a good looking dry camp area across from the restaurant and had tables.   

Stopped at the lighthouse and walked out to a point and watched whales.  They were pretty far out but could see them blow and flash their tails.  Continued on to the lighthouse and took a tour.  The tower is round, 18 feet in diameter, and constructed using rock.  The light keeper’s house is built around the tower, 2 story, 8 rooms.  It was constructed in 1843 and used until 1962.  An automated tower has been installed in front of it.  (Went back on 7/17 and took pictures) 

The light worked like no other we have seen.  It was gear operated using a counterweight to provide the power to operate the gear.  The counterweight was suspended from a rope that dropped through a shaft that terminated in the living room of the first floor.  The weight was visible through a cutout in the shaft.  When the weight reached a certain spot the light keeper had to run up to the top and wind the rope back up.  There was enough rope to last for 2 hours.  Bear in mind it was not a spring drive being wound to run the gear, the weight pulling on the rope ran the gear.  Cost $3.00 each.  We were told the whales had been putting on a good show for the past 3 days.  They are feeding on caplin.   

At the foot of the lighthouse is a municipal park with a statue of Cabot.  This is represented as the point where he landed in 1497. 

Something we found out about caplin.  To freeze them you gut them and cut off the heads.  To dry them you dry them whole, guts and head included. 

The lighthouse is a provincial historic site and so is the Mockbeggar Plantation so the tickets are good for both attractions.  So we went to Mockbeggar and took a tour.  The house was built in 1873, has 10 rooms, and has been restored to represent 1939.  The man that lived here during that period had a lot to do with confederation and 1939 was when he started working towards it.  There is another building on the property that was constructed in 1780 and is the oldest known building in Newfoundland (we saw older buildings in Trinity).  It was originally a fish-packing house and has been used as a church and other assorted things during its life.  This is not a farming plantation.  It is called a plantation because it was a self-sufficient property.  A library was added to the house in the 1940 with build-in bookcases.  Appeared to be about a 24’ by 30’ room.  (Went back on 7/17 and took pictures) 

Took 235 out of Bonavista headed home.  In Blackhead Bay we saw an iceberg.  Saw it just before we were going to turn on 237 so decided to stay on 235 and try to get a better look.  Saw it several more time.  Chased it until we had to turn on 236 to the campground.   This is really a rough road.  Suppose to be gravel but lots of large rocks and deep holes.  Saw a moose standing on the side of the road – had horns.  It walked up into the woods and stopped and stood for about a minute before disappearing.  We got a good look.  Got home at 6:05 PM.  Tour today was 80 miles.

Boat parked on the side of the roan in Melrose.
Lobster traps stored on a dock at Melrose.

07-17-2007     Tue     Day 107 

Fuel:  The jeep in Catalina at an Ultramar.  $1.187 = $4.273  

Days Activities:   I repaired the camera this morning so since we are going back to Bonavista we will try and get some of the pictures we missed yesterday. 

Departed home at 9:45 AM.  Headed west on 230.  At Charleston took 230-14 to Sweet Bay.  This is not a very pretty bay.   

Went back east on 230 and took 235 up the west coast.  Stopped outside of Princeton and took pictures of a small sawmill.   

Took a side road to Summerville, a really small village on a beautiful little cove.  It was a short drive and the village was built on a series of blind hills and blind curves.  Took pictures of fishing stage and the house at the end of the road.  

Continued on 235 and drove through Plate Cove West and Plate Cove East but not very interesting villages.   

Took 235-19 and drove through 3 villages. The cliffs and rock in this area have a pink/purple color to them.  Don’t believe pictures will do them justice but the color is magnificent.  We haven’t seen this color anywhere else.   

Drove through Red Cliff but didn’t stop or take any pictures.   

At Tickle Cove, where the pavement ended, we continued on a narrow rocky road that looked more like a wagon trail.  Had to get down to low 4-wheel drive and drove out about a mile.  Passed a large cemetery and there was a small one where we turned around.  Climbed out on the rock and looked at the ocean.  The rock here was flaking off and they were real thin, about an eighth inch thick.  There is a place here called Arch Hole.  We took pictures from this point.  There is a parking lot where you can park and walk to it but we elected not to do that.  

On the way back stopped and took pictures of another sawmill between Tickle Cove and Red Cliff.   

Stopped in Red Cliff and Sue took pictures of the cliffs and the cove.  Red Cliff is situated on a narrow strip of land between the cliffs and the cove.  There is just room for houses on each side of the road. 

At King’s Cove we turned on to 235-20 and drove through Duntara.  The town had no wharves or fishing stages.  There was a Canadian Harbour Authority dock but it was empty.  There were no boats visible in the bay or on the beach.  There were approximately 50 houses and no commercial businesses.  This appears to be a bedroom community, possibly for Bonavista.  We saw an iceberg out in the ocean – not in the cove but further out.  Did not take any pictures. 

Drove on out to Keels at the end of the road.  It is one of the oldest communities on the northeast coast.  The houses are real small and the streets are real narrow.  The houses are built right up next to the streets.  Actually the houses were built along the trail and the streets were put in between the houses.  Sue took a lot of pictures of the rock formations at the end of the road, the cove, and houses. 

When we came back through King’s Cove saw another iceberg.  Stopped and took pictures.  This appears to be the one we saw yesterday - also had chunks of ice floating around.  There is a lighthouse here but it was a long walk out so we passed on it.   

Continued on 235 and drove through several small villages but nothing interesting.  At Birchy stopped at Suzie’s Café for lunch.  It was one of those places Sue doesn’t like to stop at but we were hungry.  There were 2 real small rooms with 2 tables in each room.  There was just enough space to move around the tables to set down.  We had Cod auGrautin and it was great - one of the best lunches we’ve had since being here.  For dessert we had an ice cream cone.  It was the size of a double dip and only cost $1.25 and that included tax.   

We finally arrived in Bonavista and stopped at the “ye Matthew Legacy Museum”.  It is advertised as an exact replica of the ship Cabot was on when he arrived here in 1497.  A replica had sailed from England to Bonavista in 1997 to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Cabot’s landing.  Bonavista residents decided they also needed a boat so they had this replica constructed in 1998/1999.  It was build across the harbour from where it is docked.  It has never sailed, it was towed from its construction site to the dock.  It is suppose to be in sailing condition but the Canadian Port Authority will not let them sail it because it does not have an engine.  The museum has been specially designed so that the ship is taken in during the winter and raised out of the water.  The building is very tall and the end designed so that the masts can come inside without having to be dismantled.  It was a 30 minute tour and really enjoyable.  Cost $6.50 each. 

Went back to places we were yesterday and took pictures.

  • The Mockbeggar Plantation - pictures of the house and the 1780 building. 
  • The Bonavista Lighthouse – pictures of the lighthouse.
  • The Dungeon Provincial Park – pictures of the park and of the dungeon.

About 5 miles before our turn onto 236 we saw a moose on the side of the road.  Got home at 6:25 PM.  Tour was 157 miles. 

Departed home at 8:15 PM and drove into Trinity to the theatre.  As we topped the hill into Trinity we saw a large iceberg out at Admiral’s Point.  The show started at 9:00 PM.  It was a musical called “Nobleman’s Wedding” and was over at 9:55 PM.  It was short but entertaining.  Cost $19.00 each.  We got back home at 10:20 PM.  It was 17 miles roundtrip tonight. 

Sawmill outside of Princeton.
Fishing stage in Summerville with lobster traps.
Unusual red rocks at Red Cliff.
Arch Hole at Tickle Cove.
In Bonavista and stopped at the “ye Matthew Legacy Museum”.  It is advertised as an exact replica of the ship Cabot arrived on.
A most unusual hole in Dungeon Provincial Park

07-18-2007     Wed     Day 108 

Days Activities:   Departed home at 11:45 AM.  Will complete our sightseeing for this area today.   

Drove out to Trinity East.  We thought we could see the iceberg better here than from Trinity but when we got there it was gone.  

There was a couple at the beach where we stopped.  They were from New York and were getting ready to go out in a boat.  He said the iceberg had gone by the opening of the bay yesterday then came back in and parked last night.  When they got up this morning it was gone.  He thought it may be visible along the Sherwink Trail.  They were going out in the boat to look for it.   

We drove out to Sherwink Trail as far as the road went and then hiked in about ½ mile and back.  Didn’t see the iceberg but got some fantastic shots of the cliffs along the way.  The entire trail is 5.4 K but we drove part of it in the jeep.  We met a couple on the trail and he said the iceberg was still in the Trinity Bay as of 11:00 this morning – so it must be hidden in a cove. 

Drove to Trinity and there the iceberg was.  It had moved so that it was not visible from the village of Trinity East even though it was parked right on the shoreline.  The only way to get to it would be to hike out to it over hills and through pastureland.  We took some pictures.  We just outsmarted ourselves by going to Trinity East first.  But that is OK because otherwise we would not have taken the Sherwink Trail hike and it was well worth the trip. 

While in Trinity we stopped at the Holy Trinity Catholic Church, established in 1833.  According to a lady we had talked to in Port Union there are only two Catholics still living in Trinity.  They are two sisters, ages 82 and 87, never been married, wealthy, and they keep the church going.  We went in and Sue took pictures.  It is a small building with 5 pews on each side and a balcony on each side over the pews.  The church has no heat or electricity.  The church is painted white inside and out and both the first floor and balcony floor is unfinished wood.  Kerosene lamps are used for lighting.  Mass is only conducted in the warm months and the church is closed in the winter.  It is open for mass to anyone who wants to attend and the priest from Port Union presides.   

Drove out to New Bonaventure and went to the “Random Passage” movie set.  As mentioned earlier, Random Passage was a made for CBC movie.  It was an 8-hour mini series and took 5 months to shot.  We got tickets and departed on the 10 minute walk to the village at 2:35 PM.  A tour had just started so we joined in.  The tour guide worked on the movie constructing props, ie the village.  He remained after the movie and has been a tour guide ever since.  He was great.  He knew the history of the site acquisition, set construction, filming, and told great stories.  We really enjoyed it.  Got back to the jeep at 4:05 PM.  Tickets, including tax, were $6.84 each. 

While on the tour we were told there was a large iceberg in the harbour at Old Bonaventure so we drove over there.  It is a huge iceberg.  We took pictures of it and also a couple of old fishing stages.  I would estimate the iceberg was over ¼ of a mile out and at least 100 feet tall.  Got back home at 4:50 PM.   

Departed home at 7:50 PM and drove into Trinity to the theatre.  The show started at 8:30 PM.  It was a stage production called “Garland House” about 150 year old ghosts inhibiting the restored Garland house in current day Trinity.  It was over at 9:15 PM - short but extremely entertaining.  Cost $19.00 each.   

A moose crossed the road in front of us about a mile from the campground entrance.  It ambled across at a leisurely pace.  We were back home at 10:05 PM.  The tour today was 60 miles.

A view of Trinity East.
Hiking the Sherwink Trail looking for a missing iceberg.
Found the iceberg.  It just wasn't where we thought it should have been.
At New Bonaventure toured the “Random Passage” movie set.
At New Bonaventure toured the “Random Passage” movie set.
Iceberg grounded in the Old Bonaventure harbour.

07-19-2007    Thur     Day 109          Trip Meter:  185.9 

Driving Directions:   Drove back out to 230. Took it to 233, and took 233 to TC 1.  Took TC 1 to exit 17 then to the campground. 

Days Activities:   Departed campground at 9:10 AM.  There was a light mist as we broke camp.  It was a 5k gravel road from the campground entrance to 230 and it was starting to rain by the time we hit pavement.    

Stopped in Gander, NL, at a Ultramar station and filled up with propane. 

  • CampsiteBeothuck Park, Grand Falls-Windsor, NL – 4 nights - site # 2 - gravel pad – pull thru - 30 amp, water.  Cost $22.00 per night.  Rating 4/5.  Got setup at 2:20 PM.  Had to support the rams with boards because the ground was soft. 

Additional info:  At one time this was a provincial park but the province sold a number of their parks for use as private campgrounds.   Each site has a table and fire ring.  50 amp service and sewer are available at additional cost.  Since this was a provincial park there is some pavement and the sites are much larger than normally in private parks.  There are a lot of trees.  The site we are in can be used as a pull thru or a back in.  We did a pull thru because the back in was not level enough.  The owners are currently in the process of adding a dozen new sites.  

At 5:55 PM we left home to go to the salmon dinner.  We purchased tickets for it on 7/11 while we were at Bishop’s Falls.  The meal was great.  They served the largest portion of salmon we have ever received on a meal.  The entertainment was Irish jig dancing put on by a local dance studios students.  Was interesting but not very good.  We met several couples from this area and had a nice visit.  Got back home at 9:45 PM.

07-20-2007     Fri     Day 110 

Days Activities:   There was a light rain when we got up this morning and it has rained all day long.  Would estimate there had been over an inch by 5 PM. 

Departed home at 11:45 AM.  Went to the Grand Falls Fishway and Salmonid Interpretation Centre.  Got to see some Atlantic salmon and learn a little about them.  Cost $5.00 each.  Toured the salmon run in the rain.   

Saw a most interesting tour bus there.  It was painted orange and had seating for 20 people in the front half.  The rear half was about 3 feet higher than the front half.  On the road side of the coach, rear half, there were 4 rows of windows with curtains that made me think there were sleeper units.  On the curb side of the coach, rear half, there appeared to be baggage compartments.  Did not have the camera for pictures.  There was a group in the centre that had an interpreter but I could not identify the language. 

We went to the library and checked email.  HEY – they were having a book sale.  We purchased 16 books for $16.00.  Went shopping for shoes, OTC medicine, and groceries.  Got back home at 5:05 PM.

07-21-2007     Sat     Day 111 

Days Activities:   It rained all night and was just starting to clear as we left home.  (Note - that didn’t last long.  Continued off and on all day).  There is a concert at Red Cliff Hill today (it is a city park) that is supposed to start at 1 PM and is called “Splash 2007”.  There are supposed to be 6 rock and roll bands.  It’s a good thing we hadn’t planned to attend.  Saw cars and RV’s waiting to get into Red Cliff Hill parking area yesterday.  That is an unserviced area for dry camping they open up every year for the festival – 1,400 sites.  Would hate to be out there now in a tent.   

Departed home at noon and went to the Traditional Newfoundland Brunch at the Memorial United Church Hall – cost $10.00 each.  Had a good meal and good entertainment.   

Then we went to the Mary March Regional museum and learned about the Beothuk Indians – also getting a spelling as Beothuck.  There were at least 1,000 in the tribe in the 1700’s and the fishermen, settlers, and diseases killed the most of them off by 1800.  The last know member of the tribe died in 1829.  Cost was $2.50 each and that included admission to the Loggers’ Life Provincial Museum. 

We could hear the concert going from the museum and it was raining.  Could see tent tops but could not get to the concert site because the streets around it were all blocked off. 

Went to the Loggers’ Life Provincial Museum.  It is right at the entrance to our campground.  Got a guided tour and it was really interesting.  The guide is from a family of loggers.  The museum was built by two loggers and is a miniature of a realistic logging camp.  When I say miniature I just mean the actual size of the buildings have been reduced.  For example, instead of a 200 foot horse barn the barn inn the museum is just 15 feet long.  Get the picture?  Got home at 4:00 PM.

07-22-2007     Sun     Day 112 

Days Activities:   Rained all night and all morning.  Cleared up in the afternoonFor the past 2 weeks the road side bedroom slide has leaked on days when it rained and the wind blew.  I had straightened out the outside rubber seal and it stopped leaking when we drive in the rain so suspect there is something in the seal underneath the awning.  The carpet has been wet in the middle of the slide with no water trace as to how it got there.   

We stayed in during the day.  Departed home at 7:00 PM and went to Neptune & Nectar, a wine tasting and hors d’ourves night.  We had purchased tickets when we went through here earlier in the month.  We got to taste 6 wines and had some really good fish and cheese.  Also heard some good entertainment provided by a lady and her keyboard.  Returned home at 8:40 PM.  

***** Use back arrow key to return to home page  *****
Website Builder